Learn all about probiotics for infants in this informative article. Discover how probiotics can benefit your baby's health when to start giving them, and which strains are best for their age and needs.
What Are Probiotics and How Do They Work for Infants?
As a parent, you want to do everything you can to give your baby a healthy start in life. One way to support their health and well-being is through probiotics. Probiotics are live microorganisms, such as bacteria and yeast, that are beneficial to the body. They work by restoring the balance of healthy bacteria in the gut and improving digestion and immune function.
Probiotics can be especially beneficial for infants because their digestive and immune systems are still developing. Probiotics can help prevent and treat common issues like colic, constipation, and diarrhea. They can also support the immune system and reduce the risk of allergies, eczema, and respiratory infections.
When Should You Start Giving Your Baby Probiotics?
The best time to start giving your baby probiotics depends on their individual needs and circumstances. In general, it's safe to start giving your baby probiotics as early as the first day of life. Some hospitals even give probiotics to newborns to prevent infections.
If your baby was born prematurely, had a difficult birth, or was given antibiotics, it may benefit from probiotics even more. Antibiotics can disrupt the balance of healthy bacteria in the gut, leaving your baby vulnerable to infections and other health issues. Probiotics can help restore this balance and protect your baby's health.
Which Probiotic Strains Are Best for Infants?
Not all probiotic strains are created equal, and some may be more beneficial for infants than others. Here are some of the most commonly recommended probiotic strains for infants:
- Bifidobacterium lactis: This strain is one of the most commonly found in breast milk and is essential for the development of a healthy gut microbiome.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus: This strain is known for its ability to support digestion and immune function and is often found in infant formula
- Streptococcus thermophilus: This strain can help reduce the risk of diarrhea and other digestive issues.
- Bifidobacterium infantis: This strain is particularly helpful for infants with colic, as it can reduce crying and fussiness.
When choosing a probiotic for your baby, look for a product that contains one or more strains.
How to Give Your Baby Probiotics
Depending on their age and preferences, there are several ways to give your baby probiotics. Here are some of the most common methods:
- Breast milk: If you are breastfeeding, your baby will receive probiotics naturally through your milk. You can also take probiotics yourself to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in your milk.
- Infant formula: Many infant formulas are fortified with probiotics, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus.
- Infant probiotic gels: these are a convenient option for administering probiotics to infants. These products often contain specific strains of beneficial bacteria that can help improve digestive health and strengthen babies' immune system
Can probiotics help with colic?
Yes, certain probiotic strains, such as Lactobacillus rhamnosus, will help reduce colic symptoms, such as excessive crying and abdominal discomfort, and prevent inflammation and pain.
In conclusion, probiotics can be a beneficial addition to your baby's diet and can support their digestive and immune health. When choosing a probiotic for your baby, look for a product that contains one or more of the recommended strains and has a high CFU count. With the right probiotic, you can give your baby a healthy start in life.
If you are looking for a probiotic for your children, in XAVIAX we have the DTX especially for children and can be consumed from the first 6 months of life. The probiotic strain it contains is Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Streptococcus Termophillus with a delicious green apple flavor.
In addition, we have the OME, which contains Lactobacillus Bulgaricus and Lactobacillus Rhamnosus added with omega3. This combination helps the correct mental development of your children and improves their concentration for better learning. They will love its delicious mango flavor.